We are looking for a new Service Leader for our Contemplative Prayer service held on the first Tuesday evening of each month at St Barnabas. The Service Leader could be, but may not necessarily be, a Spiritual Director trained in the Ignatian tradition or contemplative prayer and feels called to provide a quiet space for others to be still and listen to the quiet voice of God.
There is remuneration available for this position, which is a fixed term position of 5 hours per calendar month, initially for one year with the start date to be confirmed by mutual agreement. There may also be an opportunity for this role to be expanded in the future to include organising a Week of Guided Prayer.
STILLPONT began in 2005 after one of the clergy and a number of parishioners attended the SEED programme, which is a recognised training for spiritual directors based on the experiences of the theologian Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Jesuit order. The Ignatian tradition features imaginative prayer – bringing the Bible and in particular the gospel stories about Jesus alive by entering into the narrative. Lectio Divina, which goes back to the desert fathers and mothers, is also important, plus art directed prayer and journaling. STILLPONT was set up to lead people deeper in their prayer life, drawing closer to God in silence and community.
At St Barnabas, STILLPONT has been offered as an opportunity for a small group to come together for an hour in the evening once a month. During the warmer months it has been offered in the Church sanctuary, and during winter, in the Tui Room. The average attendance is 8-12. It is really valued by those who come, as an opportunity to be with others from any Christian denomination, to hear the still small voice that has been heard through the ages by those who listen with patience and love to God.
The vision for this service is to continue in the Ignatian tradition and to continue to provide the opportunity to be with others from other Christian denominations.
- To promote the service via email and Facebook to regular attendees and the wider interdenominational Christian community
- Report monthly to the Prayer Oversight Team on attendance and request any support/guidance required
- To prepare and organise the printing of material for the STILLPOINT service
- To unlock the buildings and prepare a warm, welcoming and contemplative space
- To lead the STILLPOINT Service
- Encourage participation as appropriate and as others feel comfortable
- Encourage and develop others to lead the service
- To prayerfully conclude the service and facilitate those attending to disperse quietly
- Tidy and return the space to as before the service and lock the building
ATTRIBUTES AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Trained in the Ignatian tradition or contemplative prayer practices
- Ability to warmly welcome and connect with people from all Christian Denominations
- Gifted in creating a welcoming and contemplative space
- To be a calm and prayerful presence
- Able to commit to leading the STILLPOINT service for one year
A koha will be provided by the participants.
If you have questions or would like to know more please contact Rev Dr Pauline Stewart, Associate Priest, St Barnabas Anglican Church on 021 650 13. To apply please email your CV including 3 references with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications is Friday 9 October, 2020.